Friday, February 18, 2011

What in the Sandhill?





Cranes, that is.

More on them soon.

My three best moments of the day:

  1. Called to talk with an old superintendent friend of mine, someone I haven't seen in a while. We caught up about my recent job change. Anyway, he mentioned to me that there is a photo I took of him and his wife together at the golf course some 8 or 9 years ago, that is to this day one of his favorite photos ever. Apparently I sent him the photo after the story came out, and he hung it up in his house. "Every time I look at that photo I smile," he said. "And sometimes it even reminds me of you, and when you came out here to the course to do the story." That's pretty cool, in my book -- to have a photo I took hanging up in someone's house, and, in a small way, being a part of that person's life.
  2. I called another superintendent friend (I was on the phone a lot today) and as soon as he answered, he said, "29 meetings in 2 days?" quoting back to me something I wrote in my most recent Chip Shots Golfdom e-newsletter. You want to make a writer feel good? Quote something he wrote back to him.
  3. The new Radiohead album came out a day early... and I've been rocking it all day.
It was indeed a VERY GOOD day.

So, back to the Sandhill Cranes.

We were playing golf at the GCSAA golf tournament at PGA National. We spotted these birds. I didn't know what they were, but one of our playing partners, Dennis DeSanctis, a regional rep for Syngenta, knew what they were.

He was able to walk right up to these birds! They didn't mind us at all. I snapped a few photos, and told Dennis I'd send him the pictures. So... here ya go, Dennis -- click on them and grab them off the site!


No comments: