Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Hendren's Hyperbole! -- Zhang fever!


It is U.S. Open week, by far the best week of the year! The U.S. Open is my favorite tournament and it is awesome that Sunday of the tourney is also father’s day every year. Nothing better!
In case you missed it I wanted to bring something pretty bad-ass to your attention. Paul Casey withdrew from the U.S. Open due to injury, which bumped up 14-year-old Andy Zhang to the field of 151 players competing this week. Zhang will be the youngest person to ever compete in the U.S. Open. Not only does Zhang get to compete in the best tourney of the year, he also played a practice round with masters champ Bubba Watson and Aaron Baddeley this morning. 
I can’t remember what I was doing at 14 but I do remember I wasn’t competing in a U.S. Open. I think this story is awesome and stories like this are one of the reasons I love the U.S. Open so much. Never in my life did I think I would be jealous of a 14-year-old kid but here I sit in Kansas City wishing like hell I could golf worth a damn!
I will absolutely be following this story through the weekend if Zhang makes the cut, just like the rest of the world.
-- Matt Hendren

No comments: