Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Discussing innovative paths to sustainability

I'm at the 2012 BASF Agricultural Solutions Media Summit in Chicago today. We're midway through a day of great speakers and some terrific insights.

The meat of the program for me is a mere 40 minutes away as I write this -- that's when turf gets its own breakout session. Most of the focus so far has been on the Ag industry, but a lot of it applies to things we're seeing and doing in turf as well.

Like what Dave Long, President of Hilltop Ranch in California (seated second from left), said about sustainability during a panel discussion: "It's the right thing to do and it's economics -- doing more with less is better for business."

Perhaps most interesting to me was what Fred Below, professor of crop physiology, University of Illinois, said about spreading the message on  sustainability. "I wish I could tell you that (academia could spread the message) but we have been cut to the bone," he said. "It's up to the media -- you people have to get the word out. We have to educate you."

No comments: