Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Hendren's Hyperbole! Episode 27 -- Family Togetherness


Welcome back to another riveting edition of Hendren’s Hyperbole! I hope everyone had a great 4th of July holiday weekend. I spent the weekend at the lake on my boat just hanging with my family. Anyways, enough with the pleasantries, let’s get to it.

Does anyone feel that golf is kind of their time away from the family, four hours to just hang out with friends and do something you love? I do, most of the time. I am not going to lie to you and tell you I've never played golf with my wife because I have, a few times. I actually had a pretty good time playing a round with her but it is not the same as playing with friends. There was very little beer drinking going on and absolutely no cigar smoking and how many time can you feel good about out-driving your wife? The answer is never, if you were wondering.

The following press release is what brought this topic up…..

• Kiawah Island’s “Family Tee” program – Developed as a way for beginner golfers to get out and learn the game of golf, it is also a great way to encourage family togetherness. The program runs all summer long (May 30 – Sept. 4) on Osprey Point, Turtle Point, Cougar Point and Oak Point golf courses. Starting times are in 15-minute intervals from 6pm and 7:30pm. Everyone is required to play from the family tees (ranging for 100 to 200 yards per hole) allowing the whole family the fun of playing together. An adult must accompany children and visa versa. Adults pay $45 per round, children under 17 play free of charge.

I understand needing to come up with new and inventive ways to encourage play at your course; I really do, but encouraging family togetherness!?! I think the line has been crossed! Families are great, I think mine is the best but my golf time is sacred to me. After all, we're only talking about four hours to yourself every once in a while! I just think that a guy's time on the course and his time in the restroom are two areas that should be free from mandatory family togetherness!

Fire me a comment and let me know what you think!

-- Matt Hendren

1 comment:

Leastman said...

Agreed. Did you have to sleep on the couch for this post?