Wednesday, January 05, 2011

How clear is your crystal ball?


That was a question asked to me today.

An industry person wanted to know what my expectations for the golf industry in 2011 were. My first thought was, "Wow, you want to know what I think?" My second thought was, "I'd like to tell you what I think!"

A short email followed... and I thought, why just email this complete speculation to one person? Why not share it with the world?

So, here you go: Seth's totally non-researched prediction for the golf industry where I predict such things as a Tiger Woods revival and the weather

  • Golf will bounce back in 2011. I'm sure of it.
  • OK, say that golf is behind the rest of the world when it comes to the economy (I wonder how many industries say that about themselves... "In the cotton candy industry, we're behind the rest of the world...") But if there's even a slight bounce-back in the economy, that means that those golfers are going to want to get out more than they did in 2010. Even if it's just one round more. I'm from the Steve Mona school of "a rising tide lifts all ships," OK?
  • Here's where I predict the weather: the weather is going to be better in 2011, more golf friendly. That's not according to any book or weather reporter... that's according to the "it couldn't get any worse, right?" belief. 2010 was brutal. If 2011 is anywhere less than brutal? Good things.
  • Tiger Woods will play better, contend... WIN... and drive TV ratings again. As soon as he sticks a 7-iron at an impossible pin to win a tournament, that'll inspire tons of us hackers to attempt the same shot the following weekend.
So, apologies for a non-researched post on this fine Wednesday afternoon... but I hope you can appreciate, I have Kansas Jayhawks basketball tickets for tonight's game. I picked up two tickets for me and a friend.

What's that? Why, no, I didn't buy any Kansas basketball tickets in 2010... you know, the econo--

Hmmm! So maybe the order goes like this: college basketball tickets, cotton candy, then golf.

You read it here first.

No comments: