Friday, April 06, 2012

Syngenta's Bell Announces Retirement

One of my great friends in the industry, and, in fact, a great friend of the industry, Syngenta's Margaret Bell has announced she will retire, her last day set for May 4th.

Margaret began working in the industry -- working in the green, pest control and ag industries at various times -- in the late 1970s. Since 2001, she has worked in marketing communications in Syngenta's Lawn & Garden group.

Margaret has worked closely with the trade media, helping us cover the industry and answering our many questions. She has also been active in the various associations -- GCSAA, TOCA, PLANET, Project EverGreen, among others.

Margaret has always been a fun person to work with. For example, she's constantly giving me a hard time on how my hair looks exactly the same (short) every time she sees me. She tries to convince people I travel with my barber. (She's not far off -- I am somewhat OCD about visiting the barber.) The joke is especially biting around some of my colleagues who are more, uhh, let's say folically challenged.



The last time I hung out with Margaret the topic of retirement came up, and she made it clear to me that she was looking to retire soon. We were of like minds on the topic -- life is short, we agreed, and it just doesn't make sense to delay an opportunity to spend more time with the ones you love the most. Margaret has kids and grandkids who would like more of her time, and they're certainly deserving of it.

On behalf of the team here at Golfdom, and also our sister publication, Landscape Management, a hearty "thank you" and "congratulations" to Margaret on her retirement. She will most certainly be missed! (And in honor of Margaret, I'll drop an extra couple dollars tip on my barber the next time I see him.)

No comments: