Monday, September 19, 2011

Mayweather vs. Ortiz (My Frustrating Sports Weekend)

Talk about a rough sports weekend... my Jayhawks got routed by Georgia Tech, the Chiefs were thumped by the Lions (and it sounds like there's another season-ending injury on the team) and my fantasy football team was destroyed by Golfdom publisher Pat Roberts.

And the cherry on top? The lame Floyd Mayweather/Victor Ortiz fight.

I spent $70 on the pay-per-view to see Ortiz not protect himself and take two shots to the face that floored him in the fourth round. Match over.

I was rooting for Ortiz, as was most of the free world. Ortiz is a Kansas guy, so I have to support my fellow Jayhawk. But right now I am more mad at Ortiz than Mayweather.

What the heck was up with that head-butt? And why did Ortiz then go so crazy trying to apologize?

The worst offense was not putting up his gloves after the break. And the second worst offense was his "aw, shucks," attitude after the fight. No anger, just a smile. "It is what it is," Ortiz said. He kept smiling and laughing about the whole thing. Maybe he was still loopy from the combination. But why was I more mad, sitting on my couch in Kansas, than Ortiz was after taking two "cheap shots" to the face?

Maybe because I had just wasted $70 on the fight, while Ortiz just banked $2.5 million. That'd probably make me smile, too.


But I have to brag: it wasn't ALL bad sports for me this weekend. My 4-year-old daughter netted her first goal at her soccer game on Saturday! That had me smiling most of the rest of the day, even through the Jayhawks game. Nice goal, Evey!

Did you watch the fight on Saturday night? What did you think? Do you blame Mayweather for throwing those punches, or Ortiz for not having the brains to be ready to defend himself?

No comments: