Friday, July 20, 2012

The 5.9% Club

I'm thrilled with the reaction our July cover story is generating with readers. It's got people talking, young and old.

If you haven't read the story yet, click here.  The story, written by Jay Charnes, a former superintendent, questions whether his chosen profession was a position he could have kept until retirement. Numbers show that very few superintendents are age 60 and older.

I'm putting up a poll. What do you think: are you concerned about making it to the 5.9%?

Final thought here -- how much cooler would it have been if that number would have been 6.0%? I've had readers email me about "The 5.9% Club." That's cool. But "The 6.0% Club," where you have to be 60 or older and a working superintendent? That would have been perfect.

Ahh well. I'm not going to manipulate numbers, even a tenth of a percent, because it looks cooler.

No comments: