Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Hendren's Hyperbole -- Life on the Champions Tour

I normally do not read a lot of books -- who has the time? -- but if I decide to find the time to read a book I generally want a book about a golfer, or sports icon or possibly a story about some knuckle head who almost died climbing Everest. Two of my favorite books include Bo Knows Bo, written by Bo Jackson and Bud, Sweat and Tees, written by Rich Beem of the PGA Tour.  So when I was recently sent a book titled Inside, Outside, and On the Ropes, Life Lessons from Q-School & the Majors, written by Keith Gockenbach, I was intrigued.

The title of the book pretty much lets you know what the book is about but for a little more clarity the cover of the book states “For all golfers who wonder what it would be like to have the game, the goals, and the guts to try and make it on The PGA Tour’s Champions Tour…..” I think that is an accurate portrayal of the book in thirty words. Oh yeah, for what it is worth some guy named Fred Funk wrote the foreword.


The book is about Keith’s journey from vice president of a fortune 500 chemical company to playing professional golf on the Champions Tour. It is a pretty interesting book overall. The most amazing aspect of the book to me was the fact Keith had the stones to quit his high paying job to follow his dream of playing professional golf. Personally I would love to think I had the intestinal fortitude to do the same but I don’t. I also don’t have the game to attempt something so bold.

Another cool thing about Keith’s story is he played in the 2006 Senior U.S. Open at Prairie Dunes in Hutchinson, Kan. Believe it or not I was at that tournament. I grew up about an hour and a half from Hutch so my wife and I made the journey to check it out. It’s a small world.

If you enjoy reading about golf I would recommend you pick up a copy of Keith’s book, you won’t be disappointed.

-- Matt Hendren

No comments: