Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Hendren's Hyperbole! Episode 11 -- NCAA Tourney and Nick Watney's $12 million


Welcome back to Hendren’s Hyperbole! This might be my favorite week of the year. The NCAA tournament starts Thursday! March Madness is unbelievable year after year and once the first Thursday of the tournament rolls around everything else just fades into the background.

Hopefully KU is who Jones thinks they are so I don’t have to listen to him cry over an early KU exit! Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Jonesy!

In case you haven’t heard, let me fill you in on the great idea Jones and I had over a couple of beers a few weeks back. FYI, all great ideas are born over a couple of adult libations. Right?

Anyway, we're doing the first ever Golfdom NCAA Bracket Challenge! It is very easy to sign up for and it’s FREE! Just click here, then enter group # 19161 (no password needed.) Then fill out your bracket (don't forget to pick a champion), sit back, cheer on your favorite team and watch as your industry partners go down in a blaze of glory!

On to some PGA Tour golf: Nice work Nick Watney! Winning the Cadillac Championship against the field that was playing is impressive. Nick won by two strokes over Dustin Johnson with a final score of -16. Nick’s projected FedEx Cup standing after the win is 2nd.

I don’t know about you but if I had to predict a winner my last choice might have been Nick Watney. I don’t know a lot about Nick so I did some research and thought I would share a few facts because if I don’t know a lot about Nick I think it’s a fair assumption that you probably don’t either. Nick was born April 25, 1981 in Sacramento, Calif., and attended Fresno State, graduating in 2003. He has won 3 tournaments since 2007 and finished 2nd once. He has had 30 top ten finishes and 60 top 25 finishes. His career winnings total $12,565,377.

Over 12 million in winnings? Not too shabby!

My boy Johnny Vegas finished tied for 31st with a final score of -2. Not terrible if you consider the course and competition but I’m still disappointed. Come on Johnny, I know your better than that, or at least I thought you were! I’m still on the Johnny bandwagon and unless something unforeseeable happens I’m here for the long haul.

For your weekly Tiger update I have the following riveting information. Tiger finished tied for 10th with a final score of -8 and a final round of 66. I guess the thing that bothers me is when he was interviewed after the tournament he seemed somewhat content. When did Tiger start getting content? Is he starting to lose that killer instinct he was so well known for?

That’s going to do it for this addition of Hendren’s Hyperbole! Make sure to go fill out an NCAA Tournament bracket at www.yahoosports.com, group ID 19161. Until next week!

--Matt Hendren

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Matt, I read several of your spots. I like your writing. The University of Kansas Jayhawks played well Sunday. I look forward to San Antonio.
FYI: Jayhawk fans do not whine; they win.
Thanks for sharing.
Joyce