Friday, November 11, 2011

Hendren's Hyperbole! Episode 42 -- Buried, literally, in a bunker

I don’t know about you but for me golf is a sacred time reserved for me, my buddies and occasionally my dad when he can fit me in. It is a four to five hour vacation from normal life. No honey-do lists, no diapers to change, just a time to recharge my batteries. Golf is a time to hang out with good friends, enjoy a few cocktails and swear like a sailor.

At least that is what I thought until I discovered Sunset Hills Memorial Golf Park in Bellevue, Wash. Sunset Hills Memorial Golf Park is a cemetery that features a complete golf hole which allows committed fans of the game to be buried or placed in a permanent golf setting, the nation’s first golf-themed memorial park.


The Sunset Hills Memorial Golf Park can accommodate more than 1,200 golf enthusiasts, between full-casket plots and cremation placements. The golf memorial also features an ossuary located  under the green, accessible through the actual golf hole. The golf park was designed by a professional golf course designer; the park includes a tee-box, 820 square-foot green, fairway and sand trap. The green features a custom-made bronze cup, which will be used as a passageway to the ossuary.

WHAT? Now I have to be buried beside my wife for eternity… on a golf course? No thank you! I will just stick to the normal boring cemetery and leave the golf course experience as my safe haven reserved for me and my buddies.

I’m not saying it is a horrible idea but it’s not great. I’m fairly sure even if I loved the idea my wife is not going to go for it! I’m actually not even going to mention this to her for fear of her finding some spa memorial and her wanting us to rest forever under a sauna somewhere!

What do you think?

Make sure to check back early next week for several posts from Pinehurst where I will be at the first ever Golfdom Summit!

-- Matt Hendren

1 comment:

Life Line said...

Thanks for Sharing...